Manila to Kalibo


Confusion
All sanity is now beyond me
Delusion
All sanity is but a memory
My life…
The war that never ends
Metallica

Confusion
All sanity is now beyond me
Delusion
All sanity is but a memory
My life…
The war that never ends
Metallica

Flying over Manila, a voice came over the loudspeaker.”This is your pilot, I wanted to be the first one to wish each and every one of you, a happy new year. If you look out the left side of the plane, you will see the fireworks over Manila”. I do have to confess, fireworks from a plane, were a bit of a let down. From a boat they are awesome. From the plane, it looked like a computer board short circuiting as the tiny sparks danced around the grid.

I stayed in a little hotel near the airport, and I guess I could say that it was quiet, and the bed was reasonably comfortable. Lets just leave it at that. 

In the morning, the first thing I had to do, was find money. When you need to find an ATM that works, it really saves you money. When everyone takes Visa, and everything is bought with a tap, it is so easy to overspend. You get a finite amount of cash in your pocket, and you have to make it last until you find the next ATM that will give you money. Coming to places where people exist on an entirely different economy, has really changed my perspective on life and on my first world problems.

It took me a while, and four ATM machines, but at last, after sweet-talking myself into the airport terminal 4, that I didn't have a ticket for, I heard the little wheels turning in the ATM and practically jumped for joy when I removed the cash.

I found a little restaurant at the back of the complex, and ordered a pork sisig. It turned to be offal sisig, which, in my opinion, you need to develop a taste for. However, the dish came loaded with rice and vegetables and they were delicious, soaked in the broth. 

My morning treasure hunt took so much time that I only really had 4 hours before I should be at the airport. I decided that I could race into downtown Manila, and race back to the airport in the infamous Manila traffic jams, or I could go to the Terminal and check in early and have a massage… 

My Airbnb my first night in Kalibo, was the Aklan Animal Rescue Centre. Most of the dogs and cats are disabled. Some are really quite ill. They are often hit by vehicles, or by an angry hurting human. My host family was lovely and kind, and really, really loved the animals.The children of the host at the Aklan Rescue centre were absolutely adorable. If anyone wants to help animals, this would be a very good place to give money to. I know that I have already stated my views on importing dogs that were meant to be eaten, as some people seem to find that more barbaric than eating rabbits or sheep or cows. But really, they are all living mammals. Even if you are a vegan, it is still better to donate to a rescue centre than to spend thousands of dollars importing a few dogs. That money could have helped so many wounded and suffering animals, and instead, has just gone to fly a few animals as a stunt. Sorry off my soapbox now… In tourist areas, they don't really like dogs, unless they are leashed. Stray dogs harass tourists, stealing their food, and barking at night. They poop all over the beach, and the tourists leave. The beach is these people’s livelihood, so stray dogs are driven out. I wouldn't say that anyone here would purposely hurt a dog, but there is a certain ambivalence if someone else did.

In the morning, I took a tricycle out to the terminal, and caught the bus to Ibajay. At the Kalibo terminal there were so many interesting things. They paint some of the eggs bright pink. You probably don't want to know why… I did not try one. There was also a bunch of guys playing billiards! Some of the guys were really, really good!  


I caught a Jeepney into Ibajay and Emanuel picked me up and took me out to the farm. 



Pork Offal Sisig

A cute dog that can't use his back legs at the shelter. He gets around quite well thought!

They have a few cats, but dogs are their main focus. The cats are usually so sick they just are kept in their cages.
Near Aklan Animal Rescue Centre

One of the main streets in Kalibo

The main street in Kalibo

Kalibo Bus Terminal

The pink eggs!

It rained a little while I was at the terminal

The famous Billiards playing gang!

A Jeepney like the one I took to Ibajay

McDonald's food is not the same in Philippines - that is not a burger, that is McRice...

This is a dog that has not gotten help. It is covered in mange and the poor thing is in pain. Please donate to whatever animal rescue centre you can - please don't waste time rescuing the food dogs. Rescue this one. Fight the food dogs battle by educating the people. 

Comments