Introspection

16MR08

Say goodbye to the world you thought you lived in
Take a bow, play the part of a Lonely, lonely heart
Say goodbye to the world you thought you lived in
To the world you thought you lived in

I tried to live alone
But lonely is so lonely, alone
So human as I am
I had to give up my defenses

So I smiled and tried to mean it
To make myself let go

I paid my 122L (about $7) and left the internet cafĂ©. I had spent more than 2 hours on the internet and Ciaran & Aodhan had surfed on the computer beside mine. I had been able to post all of my blogs, and Skype Greg and he had been able to read the blogs while talking to me. I was able to read the torhschool posts, but I forgot to tell people my new e-mail address – Maybe I will try to see if I can access my gecan account next time I am on the internet.

I floated down the street to Rita’s lovely house and Aodhan invited himself in. He also invited himself to the contents of Rita’s fridge and to the remote control for her t.v. Thank goodness Rita is so cool about things and didn’t turf us out like stray dogs, with a suggestion of where to find a good book on manners. To Aodhan’s benefit, he did settle for water, and even asked before he traipsed into the living room with it.

Rita suggested that I do get a cell phone. I can get one for about 500L – is that really just $25??? Wow. Yes, I will get one – a Tigo phone at the big new mall tomorrow. That was the mall I went to the first full day I was here, but now it’s across town. I really have to get a map out and look at it. It is apparently a long walk – it would take about 10 minutes by cat – wait that’s a typo – I mean by car – but it is pretty funny to think of us riding a big Totoro bus down the street. So, tomorrow morning instead of laundry, anything to get out of laundry eh, I think we will go get a cell phone. After, we will surprise Marjorie – my homestay host and say hi if she is home. I think we’ll have to take a taxi home.

Ciaran loves my blogs. He has made me change one or two things to be more accurate. It is difficult to take creative license with my little proofreader watching!

There was a knock at my window this evening. An old man (one of the landlord’s family I think) came and called, asking if I needed help to turn on my air conditioner. They must think I’m some kind of mujar loco blanco, or just stupid, because I still haven’t turned on the air conditioning! I told him I was ok, but later in the evening I decided to turn it on. I still just usually use the fan – I really like the heat! People here are really nice and try to help and they try to understand me. I have learned some new words, and can now usually tell the difference between 20 and 30. I still have trouble with 25 and 250 and most other numbers, but hopefully that will come.

Rita also told me not to be so worried about the water. The water is safe most of the time, and I should be able to wash my dishes in it.

Comments