Ready or Not...

12 March 08

All my bags are packed, I’m ready to go
I’m standing here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breakin’, its early morn
The taxis waiting, he’s blowin’ his horn
Already I’m so lonesome I could cry.

Chorus:
So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you’ll wait for me
Hold me like you’ll never let me go.
I’m leavin’ on a jet plane
I don’t know when Ill be back again
Oh, babe, I hate to go.

Now the time has come to leave you
One more time let me kiss you
Then close your eyes, I’ll be on my way.

Well folks, here I sit at 38000 feet

What a week. What an understatement.

Sunday … Hmmm, they want me to come sooner …
Monday … Work at the lab all evening
Tuesday … Work at the lab … feel nauseous and throw up … come home … panic, research flights
Wednesday … Book our flight … e-mail Comayagua all my flight info
Thursday … apply for passport … have to get Jerry to drive over with my computer to prove I have a flight … go home … pack … log on to my email only to find out that all my flights have been cancelled … call Exito travel and spend several hours re-booking … find costumes for Ciaran and Aodhan … go see the opera that they are in … go out to dinner to celebrate the kids performance … come home … send new flight info to Comayagua marked “URGENT – FLIGHT CHANGE” … e-mail people and … collapse.
Friday … do laundry phone the school to see if they got my flight update … work at Lab
Saturday … go out to breakfast … la la la la .. Breakfast with Hilary … go shopping! Woo hoo! Find out John is in the hospital! OMGG! …
Sunday … Go out to breakfast – romantic … Distillery pack …
Monday … wait for my visa card to arrive – it never comes … try to get to the drop in … late … everyone’s gone … no-one loves me☹ … buy groceries for my starving students … pack
Tuesday … go pick up passport … go to notary public to get letter signed to take kids out of the country without Greg … go pick up vaccinations … find out they didn’t dispense Ciaran & Aodhan’s malaria meds because the doctor had ordered 254mg and they only had 250mg and they couldn’t contact the doctor because she was out of town for the week … go to the Nurse … all the doctors at the clinic had called in sick … the nurse contacted the duty physician and got him to ok Ciaran & Aodhan’s malaria meds … got vaccinations for all of us … picked up international driver’s licence … confirmed flight … re-packed all my bags – two large, two small, 1 carry on, knapsacks, changes of clothes, what have I forgotten, what do I not even realize I need?

So then I get to the airport and they cancel all my flights again, so now I’ve been booked on three flights and I’m still on the ground AAAARRRGGGG!!!@#$#$%&*

What am I doing??? I mean … even for me this is a bit crazy … I mean picking up my kids and taking off to Tegucigalpa and Comayagua, places I had never heard of two weeks ago? Do I know these people? I’m going to get there and some strange guy in an old pick-up truck or a sparkly Mercedes is going to say “hey honnee get in my car and I take you to Comayagua” and I’m going to go … “duh … sure … doh de doh … why not? I don’t even know what I’m doing thinking I can walk in and teach a bunch of kids anything.

I can still back out of this. Although now I’m in the air, just left Miami, is it real yet? Guess short of asking if they have any spare parachutes and seeing if I can get picked up by a passing Yacht in Biscayne Bay and spending 3 months sailing around the Caribbean with some tanned sailor – oh wait – I could have stayed home and done that in Lake Ontario – What am I thinking?

Aodhan has informed me that we are only staying 10 days.

Comments