Hangin' in There



People say I'm crazy doing what I'm doing,
Well they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin,
When I say that I'm o.k. they look at me kind of strange,
Surely your not happy now you no longer play the game,

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away,

People asking questions lost in confusion,
Well I tell them there's no problem,
Only solutions,
Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind,
I tell them there's no hurry...
I'm just sitting here doing time,



I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round,
I really love to watch them roll,
No longer riding on the merry-go-round,
I just had to let it go.

                                                          John Lennon

Friday 25OC13

I am so sorry. Our life has gotten pretty boring. Aodhan has been showering, changing, washing his dishes (well, after waiting an hour). We are doing school work together. I think it’s a good thing.

We took little minibus rides out to the ends of the lines, just to see where they go.  At the end of the maroon bus route, we saw a giant dust devil a couple of fields away. Of course, I did not have a camera. 

Saturday 26OC13

We have a slight problem. The landlord had given me the bigger apartment, they had offered it to Yesenia, she had only asked for the small one. Now there are two girls interested in it, so they want me to move into the small apartment, or pay another 1.5 times the price I am paying. I looked at the other apartment. Not only is it smaller, it has no windows and it is not decorated, and only has a saggy armchair instead of lovely set of furniture. The kitchen is tiny too and has only a bar fridge. Aodhan will not cope with moving to another apartment. I am really only going to be using the apartment for a couple of weeks out of the month, so paying more doesn’t make it a cost saving idea. Yesenia came to my rescue and said that since I was going away on a trip, I could come and stay with her after. I think I will, because I don’t trust people that offer one thing, and then change the deal when you are part way through. I will delay my trip until I Have used up my month’s rent, and then not come back. It will be more complicated, but less complicated too.


At the end of the blue,black and purple one we saw a circus tent. It was almost 6pm, and I asked what time the circus started. The people on the bus thought it started at 7pm. “Let’s go!” I said to Aodhan. “Yea! Let’s go” he replied. We got off the bus and he was determined to head straight there. A taxi driver with a megaphone was driving around extolling the virtues of the circus stars. He gave us a paper, and it said the show did not start until 8pm. I tried to talk Aodhan into coming back the next day, which was Saturday, for the 4:30 show. But, he was having none of it. He was staying. I finally talked him into going and finding some supper. Ok, I actually threatened to take him home if he made me stay in the dark empty dirt covered, scraggy tree and bush surrounded, parking lot until some strange half human beast of my nightmares appeared.

We went to the main street and found, after walking up and down several times, that there was only one place open which served any food. So, breaded deep fried chicken and fries without the sausages on top was our only option. Well, we could have had the sausages, but we skipped those and we only had bathroom problems for twenty-four hours from the “street food”. We stayed at the little table, pondering over the last few fries and watching a comedy show on the little TV. Finally at 7:30, Aodhan had had enough waiting. He had already gone to the main square park across the street and walked all around it, and gone down the street and checked the circus. He said the lights were all on and people were arriving. When we got there, there was lights on, but no people yet. I went for a walk to recharge my phone at a convenience store. I walked up a narrow dark street, and two large mean dogs chased me barking and snarling. I walked calmly, telling them siete! (sit) and abaho (down) and vamanos, but then I remembered that in my panic I was saying ‘let’s go’ not ‘go away’. Anyway, they stopped after I got away from their territory, and boy was I glad I still had two hands and a face. I have never seen a mean dog in South America, and I hope I never see one again.

When I got back, the local kids and the circus kids had made friends with Aodhan and wanted to see his drawings and take photos with him. We had fun talking to them. Soon it was time to pay our ten soles (for the two of us) and go in the tent. The red and yellow tent was from the 1940‘s or so. The grandstand was made with sagging 1x6 boards tied between metal stands with old strips of material. Aodhan wanted to sit at the top, which was a 7’ drop if the thing collapsed. 

The acts were fun for us. One trapeze artist, one unicycle rider, one acrobat. They were al not quite as good as our kids were after they went to the circus school for a few seasons. There was the clown. He brought kids down from the Audience. Aodhan quickly volunteered. He asked them lots of questions, and made lots of jokes at their expense. He did well with Aodhan, and Aodhan had a lot of fun, and the audience cheered for him. Then they brought out the little dogs that climbed up a ladder to the roof of the big top and jumped into a fireman’s trampoline held by two guys. Finally the last girl came out. She was a little overweight and she did the rings to the music from the Titanic. Then it was intermission. After intermission, another man came out. He did a comedy routine. It was funny, but I didn’t get half the jokes, and Aodhan was only getting a few, and we snuck out before it was over. And yes, just like any good comedian, he made us the butt of his jokes as we tried to sneak out quietly.

Cost for transportation 12 soles, Cost to get in 10 soles, watching this show, priceless.

Sunday 27OC13
y, or he could earn it back by doing his schoolwork. He chose to do the work. He earned it back. 

We got little minibus to Yura. There are hot springs there. We ended up not going in the hot spring. It was a small indoor pool with murky, sulphury water and a lot of people. But, we had a lovely lunch in the hotel. I met a family there, and the guy says he is driving to Tacna next week. If I want a ride, I am welcome to come with him. I think this solves my problem about when to go to Chile. 

Monday 28OC13

Today I told Aodhan that he could go swimming at the golf club instead of showering if he did all his school work. He did the school work and we went off to the golf course. I forgot the club was closed Mondays. We hung out most of the day anyway, and Aodhan played outside and drew. We went home in the afternoon, and I told Aodhan he had to have a shower. He complained a little, but he went and had one. I made him butter chicken with almond milk instead of dairy, and it was really really good. 

Tonight, for some reason, there were fireworks over the city of Arequipa.
The next day, Aodhan didn’t want to do anything, especially schoolwork. We ended up having a meltdown that involved me having to take away his backpack, which of course got physical. I can’t help but draw attention to the fact, that this was the first problem we have had in quite a while, and it happened the morning after he had wheat (breaded chicken) for the first time in weeks. Hmmm. We were able to resolve it and move on. Once the backpack was gone, he calmed down. I gave him a choice. I could keep the backpack until the next day, or he could earn it back by doing his schoolwork. He chose to do the work. He earned it back. 

We got little minibus to Yura. There are hot springs there. We ended up not going in the hot spring. It was a small indoor pool with murky, sulphury water and a lot of people. But, we had a lovely lunch in the hotel. I met a family there, and the guy says he is driving to Tacna next week. If I want a ride, I am welcome to come with him. I think this solves my problem about when to go to Chile. 

Monday 28OC13

Today I told Aodhan that he could go swimming at the golf club instead of showering if he did all his school work. He did the school work and we went off to the golf course. I forgot the club was closed Mondays. We hung out most of the day anyway, and Aodhan played outside and drew. We went home in the afternoon, and I told Aodhan he had to have a shower. He complained a little, but he went and had one. I made him butter chicken with almond milk instead of dairy, and it was really really good. 

Tonight, for some reason, there were fireworks over the city of Arequipa.



The hot springs building at Yura


Inside the hotel. We had lunch at this table.


The hotel where we had lunch


Our $15 steak dinners - that was for the two of them, including coffee and a pitcher of lemonade. I made a mistake ordering the coffee - thought I told him I would like to have it right away. I got it later with my meal - instant coffee instead of brewed.


Beautiful coloured houses in Yura


The hotel building and hot springs area reminded me of Greece.


The ride home on the combi (mini-bus) Aodhan sat on the engine cover between the front seats until the lady with the two kids got off and he got the front seat.


The road back from Yura to Arequipa.



Comments

Val. said…
Boring is good. We love boring.

xo