Loki

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain,
"Please bring me my wine"
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "
                                                          Don Felder, Don Henley, and Glenn Frey.

My computer has decided not to connect to any power supply. I tried another cord. It is not the cord. It seems to be something internal. I probably will not be able to use it for the rest of the trip. I am typing this on my i-phone. So the blogs may be less wordy now, and less photos.

We are staying at a place called Loki hostel in Salta, Argentina. Well actually, 30 minutes outside of Salta.

This countryside hostel is like a summer camp. Aodhan is wearing only a t-shirt for more than 1 week now. He has been happier for the last two days than I have seen him in more than one year. I think having the sweater is making him anxious.

If you have something, you have something to lose = anxiety. Once the sweater was gone, there was nothing to lose

He is animated and happy and chatting to people and watching movies with them and drawing for them. People say to  me, and more importantly, to him, that he is a really cool kid.

Aodhan has been eating loads of gluten and dairy products while he is here. I gave up when I arrived, because the kitchen had just closed and they were serving all you can eat pizza, which is something Aodhan really loves. I was really worried, but he has been so much better here after eating it for two days.

This hostel is so amazing. Until December 15th, there is no charge for the room. You just pay for whatever food and copious amounts of alcohol you consume. My bill for the the two days and two nights including quite a goodly amount of alcohol, and three evenings of dinners, two full breakfasts and lunches, and snacks etc. is going to be around $100 or so.

We have just been hanging out and chatting and watching movies and drinking and eating.

We get a bus tonight at 1:00 am for Calama in Chile. There, I can get a bus to Arica. I just hope I have the funds. I will take extra Argentina pesos out of the bank and change then to Chilean at the border. It will be a terrible transaction - first to pay the atrocious rate the bank machines give you for Argentina pesos, and then to pay to convert those to Chilean pesos. I really have no choices though. I just really have no idea how much Argentinian money to get out. I will have to pay for a bus from Calama to Arica, and they may only take cash. I might even have to pay for food and a bed for the night.

For now, Aodhan is so happy. And that means of course that I am happy. I do not want this to end, but Aodhan does want to go back to Arequipa.

There is another Loki hostel on downtown LaPaz. I will have to book that as soon as I can figure out what days I am going to LaPaz. They tell me it is a crazy place with loads of people drinking at all hours. That will mean loads of people who are willing to find Aodhan's repetitive mono topics cool and interesting. The house is in the downtown area. It is an old rambling house with many hidden corners to explore. I think I will book me a private room and Aodhan one of the dorms:)

Sent from my iPhone




Comments