Last Days in Arequipa


Homeward bound,
I wish I was,
Homeward bound,
Home where my thought's escaping,
Home where my music's playing,
Home where my love lies waiting
Silently for me.

Tonight I'll sing my songs again,
I'll play the game and pretend.
But all my words come back to me in shades of mediocrity
Like emptiness in harmony I need someone to comfort me.
Homeward bound,
I wish I was,
Homeward bound,
Home where my thought's escaping,
Home where my music's playing,
Home where my love lies waiting
Silently for me.
Silently for me.
                       Paul Simon



Aodhan has been great for the past few days. He has been playing with the boys and laughing (in a good way). I have rewarded the good behaviour with go karting and other outings, hot wheels cars and ice cream. Right now that all seems to be working, and he is being really well behaved. It’s like as if every so often, he just has to have a bad day and get it out of his system. We have been able to go out and do lots of things together.

On Sunday, we went to the beach at Mollendo. The day was overcast and so it wasn't that warm. it was still warm enough for me (and lots of other people) to go in the ocean. Aodhan sat and drew all day and watched the big waves. He ran around with the boys a bit. We enjoyed our lunch on the beach with cevichi and fresh fish and chips.

As the day approached to leave Arequipa, Aodhan had repeatedly talked about how much he wanted to stay. I was very worried about the day we would leave, because transitions are so difficult for Aodhan. But, in the evening, he went to bed. On Monday morning he got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, and said goodbye to everyone and got in the taxi to the airport and was happy the whole time and not pacing back and forth saying that we had to go, we were going to miss our flight, or saying that he was not going. That was very pleasant.

Even at the airport, Aodhan just sat and drew pictures and hummed to himself. 

The flight finally came and it was great. Aodhan was very good and sat in the assigned seat and watched the scenery, commenting on how interesting it was.


Aodhan happy at his favourite go-kart place


La Compania


Above and below - Historic area - a historical hotel that is being rebuilt. People did not rent a room, but much more like the hostels of today, they rented a bed.



A little tiny firetruck beside the fuschia coloured fire station.


Gallery of portraits of dead people. They were not allowed to paint living nuns in case they became vain, so they waited until they were dead.


Our little umbrella, chairs and wading pool at the beach.


Aodhan drawing at the beach.


Aodhan at the swing set at the beach.


Comments