Just a castaway



Just a castaway

An island lost at sea
Another lonely day
With no one here but me



But I should have known this right from the start
Only hope can keep me together

Love can mend your life

But love can break your heart
The Police


So it has taken a few days to get the boat ready. I have been helping as I can. Finally, last night we finished the provisioning, and this morning we are able to take a taxi down to the port and set sail. Well, there was no wind, so set motor. 

As we sailed away, the day was a little grey and misty. Istanbul’s hills were blue and purple hues in the distance, with tiny minarets peeking out of the haze. 

I have never seen so many jellyfish as on the sea of Marmara. They swirl beneath the boat. It is like sailing through an enormous bowl of bubble tea, filled with graceful acrobatic tapioca. Recep says that most of them do not sting. I am probably not going to test that theory, so no swimming here. 

The morning was mostly bright and sunny and windless. The afternoon brought some cloud and rain. By later afternoon, there was a little wind, but by then, we were coming into port in the Island of Marmara. 

So, now we are on the island of Marara, which   Coincidentally is in the middle of the Sea of Marmara. We sailed all day, and have now tied up and have enjoyed a wonderful feast.
Raki and ceviche or whatever the  Turkish equivalent of that is. And some kind of sweet yellow melon and so delicious, so good, and raki, did I mention the raki. And more raki. I think there was calamari and of course spicy yogurt and savoury yogurt. And raki, did I mention the raki. Sitting I a little family owned restaurant on the shore near the port on the island of Marmara on the Sea of Marmara, off the coat of Istanbul. The shrimp was so fresh and cooked in a light tomato and hot pepper sauce. Raki turns cloudy when you add water because it is so strong. Did I mention the raki.

And now it is 5:52am and I am glad I am not asleep, because the very loud and not so melodic call from the mosque sounds like they put a very large speaker right beside the boat. I look out onto the deck and see a tiny furry face of a cat, comfortably sleeping:) Guarantee we will have no mice on the boat:)


A lot of jellyfish in the Sea of Marmara

On our last day, we were invited to the mechanic's office to have a beautiful fish dinner with the workers.

A giant rubber ducky, just swimming alone - just a castaway, an island lost at sea...

Island of Marmara

Raki, did I mention the Raki

Though the Dardanelles

And of course we are in Turkey

Bruises from fending off the boat the first day - we were coming in forwards on a windless day... Now I keep a boathook ready at all times...

Baklava, did I mention the baklava

Comments